Ariel's Interior Design Portfolio

Hello, my name is Ariel, and I am currently an interior design major at Washington State University. Interior design is one of my biggest interests, and I plan on making a fun and exciting career out of it. The area that I am most interested in specializing in is ecological sustainability through interior design, while simultaneously maintaining functional and aesthetically pleasing designs. I plan on graduating WSU with a masters degree in interior design, then traveling over the world furthering my career and design experiences.

These are some projects and sketches I did while in summer school 2010. This was the first interior design class I have taken.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Habitat for Humanity

These are renderings of my final house design and floor-plan I did for a potential new house to be built for Habitat for Humanity. The concept I developed for the design of the house revolved around ideas of comfort, simplicity, and stability. The budget for the entire project- construction included was $80,000, which posed a great challenge. It was a fantastic experience to develop plans and construction designs for the organization while staying under budget. I had (still have) pretty limited knowledge concerning allocation of funds, costs of materials, etc., and working on this helped me tremendously to get a feel for how operations work, and how I need to go about dealing with budgets. An aspect that was helpful in this project were the necessary guidelines Habitat established. The house needed to be under a certain amount of square footage, and the material selection was previously chosen. These details were helpful to me in designing the house. I was able to focus on spacial arrangements, and planning, which is an area I need much more practice with. As I was discussing the final design with the Habitat representatives, I became aware of problems in the design relating to proper spacial allocation, and arrangement of rooms. Some things I learned that will be helpful for future reference were placement/direction of doors to enhance certain rooms, building closets back to back in adjoining rooms to conserve space/ building materials, and universal plumbing walls to cut down on costs and for convenience of installation. Taking all of these aspects into account will absolutely help me create better designs in the future, and I really enjoyed working on this project. It was a great learning experience all around.
Kitchen
Master Bedroom
Bathroom


Final Floor-Plans

No comments:

Post a Comment