Ariel's Interior Design Portfolio

Hello, my name is Ariel, and I am currently an interior design major at Washington State University. Interior design is one of my biggest interests, and I plan on making a fun and exciting career out of it. The area that I am most interested in specializing in is ecological sustainability through interior design, while simultaneously maintaining functional and aesthetically pleasing designs. I plan on graduating WSU with a masters degree in interior design, then traveling over the world furthering my career and design experiences.

These are some projects and sketches I did while in summer school 2010. This was the first interior design class I have taken.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Beach Retreat

This is a project I completed last semester that turned out very well in my opinion. The purpose was to design a room for a client utilizing fabric samples, a piece of furniture, and a prized possession that they selected. My client chose light fabrics, and furniture with a beach inspired theme, with her prized possession being a collection and love of seashells. To incorporate her love of the beach and shells, I decided to design a beach inspired living room, in a little studio along the beach. I incorporated her large overstuffed couch, with a large overstuffed armchair in the opposite corner with a blue and white nautical themed pattern, complete with white rope trim. Keeping in mind the amount of sand/water that accompanies a house along the beach, I used a concrete floor with a sand motif in order to help keep the house cool as well as clean, as well as to create a more seamless distinction between outdoors and indoors. To help bring the outdoors in, I decided to use large windows with a teak wood trim that allow plenty of light into the room as well as magnificent views of the water. To incorporate her seashells, I designed a sand wall, that helps to separate the entrance from the living room. The wall is made of glass, with teak wood case, that is filled with sand and shells. The case is also lit from the top with recessed ceiling lights that helps to highlight it as a point of interest and intrigue. When I presented the room to my client, she was ecstatic. She loved the furniture, the windows, the lighting, and especially the sand wall. I am very pleased with the outcome of the design, and it is actually of my favorites Ive done.

No comments:

Post a Comment